Socio-economic Profile of Sheep and Goat Rearers in Tahtay Adyabo District, Tigray, Ethiopia

Main Article Content

Zemeda Desta

Abstract

The present study was conducted to assess the socio–economic profile of sheep and goat rearers in Tahtay Adyabo District, Tigray, Ethiopia. For this study 138 sample households were selected randomly. Of the total sample respondents, 26.1% of them owned sheep, 35.5% of them owned goats and 38.4% of them owned both sheep and goats. Of the 138 interviewed sheep and goat producing households, 81.2% were male headed and the rest 18.8% were female headed households. The average ages of the sampled respondents were 44 year. The average family size of the total sample respondents was found to be 6 persons. The average years of experience related to sheep and goat production was 10.7 years. The survey result with respect to land holding of the respondents reveals that an average size of land holding per household was 2.3 hectare. Sheep and goats are kept for income generation from sell of live sheep and goat, manure, meat and milk, saving insurance and for the sale of sheep and goat product purposes in the study area. Of the total sampled households 77(55.8%) of the respondents housed their sheep and goat in both open ended during dry season and hdmo (constructed shelter from stone or wood walls with soil roof during rainy season) at night, 34(24.6%) respondents used only constructed shelter made from stone with wood walls with soil roof, 22(16%) used shelter made of mud or wood  walls with leaf roof and 5(3.6%) used fenced area without roof. Therefore provision of input technologies and modern practices, increasing the dimension of access to formal financial systems, provision of timely and adequate veterinary services and provision of timely and accurate market information are important for benefits of producers and for production and productivities of sheep and goats.

Keywords:
Socio-economics, goat, sheep, rearers, tahtay adyabo, Ethiopia.

Article Details

How to Cite
Desta, Z. (2019). Socio-economic Profile of Sheep and Goat Rearers in Tahtay Adyabo District, Tigray, Ethiopia. Asian Journal of Agricultural Extension, Economics & Sociology, 37(1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.9734/ajaees/2019/v37i130256
Section
Original Research Article

References

Alemayehu M. Country pasture/ forage resource profiles in Ethiopia; 2006.

Hirpa A, Abebe G. Economic significance of sheep and goats. In: Yami, Alemu and Merkel RC. (eds.), Sheep and goat production handbook for Ethiopia. Ethiopian Sheep and Goat Productivity Improvement Program (ESGPIP), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; 2008.

Tsedeke K. Production and marketing of sheep and goats in Alaba District, Southern Nations Nationalities and Peoples Region MS thesis, Hawassa University, Hawassa, Ethiopia; 2007.

Getahun L. Productive and economic performance of small ruminant production in production system of the highlands of Ethiopia. Doctoral Dissertation, University of Hohenheim, Hoheinheim, Germany; 2008.

Belete S. Production and marketing system of small ruminant in Goma District of Jimma Zone, western Ethiopia. MSc. Thesis. Hawassa University, Hawassa, Ethiopia; 2009.

Urgessa D, Duguma B, Demeke S, Tolamariam T. Sheep and goat production systems in Ilu Abba Bora Zone of Oromia Regional State, Ethiopia: Feeding and Management Strategies. Global Veterinaria. 2012;9(4): 421-429.

Tibbo M. Productivity and health of indigenous sheep breeds and crossbreds in the central Ethiopian Highlands. Doctoral Dissertation, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden; 2006.

Gizaw S, Tegegne A, Gebremedhin B, Hoekstra D. Sheep and goat production and marketing systems in Ethiopia: Characteristics and strategies for improvement. IPMS (Improving Productivity and Market Success) of Ethiopian Farmers Project Working Paper 23, Nairobi, Kenya; 2010.

TADOoI (Tahtay Adyabo District Office of Information). Annual report, Sheraro, Ethiopia; 2015.

TADOoARD (Tahtay Adyabo District Office of Agriculture and Rural Development). Annual report, Sheraro, Ethiopia. 2015.

Cochran WG. Sampling techniques, 3rd edition. John Wiley & Sons, New York; 1977.

Fikru S, Gebeyew K. Sheep and goat production systems in Degehabur Zone, Eastern Ethiopia: Challenge and opportunities. Journal of Advanced in Dairy Resources. 2015;3(2):134-232.

Etalema S, Abera A. Small ruminant production and constraints in Misha Woreda, Hadiya Zone, Southern Ethiopia. International Journal of Livestock Production. 2018;9(8):192-197.

Tilahun S, Vijchulata P, Chairatanayuth P, Swasdiphanich S. Assessment of small ruminant management practices in Jijiga and Shinile Zones of Somali Regional State, Ethiopia. Kasetsart Journal. 2006; 40:987–999.